BOISE, Idaho (KIFI/KIDK) - After seven years of success in Idaho, and fifteen years nationwide, the popular lottery draw game Mega Millions will undergo changes designed to bring additional value and excitement to its players.
The changes will begin with sales on October 28, 2017 and go into effect for the first draw which occurs on October 31, 2017.
“Mega Millions is one of the top lottery games in the country,” said Idaho Lottery Director Jeff Anderson. “Players prefer games with ever-larger jackpots, so the time was right nationally, and here in Idaho, to introduce these game enhancements.”
Mega Millions new enhancements will include:
- Better overall odds of winning any prize.
- Increased starting jackpots: The minimum starting jackpot more than doubles from $15 million to $40 million.
- Bigger prizes: Players who match four numbers and the Mega Ball will have their prize increased from $5,000 to $10,000 and up to $50,000 with the 5x on the Megaplier feature. If a player matches three numbers plus the Mega Ball they win $200. And all lower tier prizes will double.
- Players will select their first five numbers from a set of 70 numbers, and then one Mega Ball from a set of 25 numbers.
- New Price: Beginning October 28, 2017, Mega Millions will be $2 per play; $3 per play with the Megaplier feature.
“Over the past few years, we’ve listened to our players who ask for more million dollar winning experiences while keeping the opportunity to play for bigger jackpots,” said Anderson. “These game changes will provide more winning experiences and bring more value to our players.”
In anticipation of these changes, players who purchase ten advance draws will see fewer to purchase as the game approaches the change on October 28. The last draw players will have the opportunity to purchase tickets for up to ten draws in advance for Mega Millions is Tuesday, September 26, 2017. The advance ten draw feature for Mega Millions will be restored when the game changes beginning on October 28, 2017.
These game changes only apply to Mega Millions. Powerball remains unchanged.