10 hospitalized from toxic fumes in Temple Square
Ten people have been hospitalized after exposure to hazardous fumes in downtown Salt Lake City's Temple Square on Thursday.
Officials say about 50 people were inside a small visitor's center in the Mormon Church-owned square Thursday morning when a janitor inside accidently mixed chlorine in a bottle which contained trace amounts of sulfuric acid.
Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay says the mixture created a hazardous gas, thionyl chloride, which spread quickly through the small building.
The janitor and nine others were taken to the hospital in minor condition after complaining of nausea, coughing and trouble breathing.
Asay says he expects they'll be released soon.
Officials temporarily closed half of the square Thursday, but the visitor's center remained closed Thursday afternoon.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.