OROFINO, Idaho (AP) -

A northern Idaho fire official says an extension cord hooked to an electric grill on a porch shorted out and started a house fire that killed five people Saturday morning.

Orofino Fire Chief Mike Lee said the house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived after a neighbor reported the blaze at 1:38 a.m.

He said smoke inhalation likely killed the two adults and three teens whose bodies were also badly burned in the fire. He said the dead were a family of four plus a teenage friend who was sleeping over to help celebrate a birthday.

Autopsies are planned Monday, but he says there's no sign of foul play. Lee says townspeople shocked at the loss have already put teddy bears and flowers at the home.