5 killed in Idaho home fire after electrical short

OROFINO, Idaho (AP) - A northern Idaho fire official says an extension cord hooked to an electric grill on a porch shorted out and started a house fire that killed five people Saturday morning.

Orofino Fire Chief Mike Lee said the house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived after a neighbor reported the blaze at 1:38 a.m.

He said smoke inhalation likely killed the two adults and three teens whose bodies were also badly burned in the fire. He said the dead were a family of four plus a teenage friend who was sleeping over to help celebrate a birthday.

Autopsies are planned Monday, but he says there's no sign of foul play. Lee says townspeople shocked at the loss have already put teddy bears and flowers at the home.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories

Top Stories