Fire destroys Idaho Falls straw maze
Straw maze fire causes $100,000 in damage
A straw maze was engulfed in flames Tuesday night in southern Idaho Falls.
About 1,000 1-ton bales of straw were on fire. The Idaho Falls Fire Department said it started around 10:30 p.m. at the U Pick 'Em Red Barn off McNeil Drive between 24th Street and Sunnyside.
No injuries or deaths were reported.
Owner Preston Walker said the maze is called "Lost Straw Maze." He told our Jessica Crandall the maze usually closes at 10 p.m., but workers closed up shop at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. The maze is across McNeil from the Big Red Barn.
A back hoe was also burned in the fire, Walker said.
Fire officials say the blaze caused $100,000 in damage.
A distinct smell has spread throughout Idaho Falls and into some Ammon neighborhoods, according to some of our viewers.
Firefighters tell us they expect the fire to burn until Thursday or Friday.
Firefighters say police and citizens watch patrol officers will monitor the fire and the surrounding neighborhood into Wednesday morning. They do not plan to douse it with any more water, a firefighter said.
"There's no way we're going to save it," he said.
The wind is gusting at a considerable rate in that area and sparks from the blaze are being caught in the wind.
Howard said they still aren't sure how the fire started but they are investigating it.
Copyright 2013 NPG of Idaho. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.