Fort Hall evacuation traced to propane bottles

POSTED: 01:51 PM MST Feb 19, 2013    UPDATED: 09:29 AM MST Feb 20, 2013 
FORT HALL, Idaho -

The Fort Hall Fire Department evacuated the TP Gas and Convenience Store on Tuesday after a suspected gas leak was detected. The store is at Exit 80 off Interstate 15.

Tribal spokesperson Randy L'Teton said the leak was discovered at 11:41 a.m. and the building and surrounding area evacuated about 10 minutes later.

Intermountain Gas shut off the natural gas line to the area at 12:39 p.m.  Fort Hall fire and police departments established a safe perimeter around the store while the leak was being repaired.

Angelo Gonzales, executive director of the Shoshone-Bannock tribes, said that as of 1:10 p.m., the situation was under control.

Intermountain Gas spokesman Byron Defenbach said Wednesday the event was not a natural gas leak.  He said the situation was traced to odor from some empty propane bottles.