Hidden Treasures fire a 'shock' to owners, community
A local family is dealing with the loss of its business after a massive fire tore through it Thursday morning.
No one was hurt, but the Young family, which has run Shelley's "Hidden Treasures" furniture store for several years, took a huge hit.
Damage to the store is estimated to be at least $75,000.
"I got a phone call around 5:30 -- 5 o'clock (in the morning)," said Bo Young, who struggled to contain his emotions as he recalled waking up to the horrfiying news.
"It was a shock," Young said. "Basically my life and several others' lives. We wake up and we come here. This is how we provide and pay bills."
Flames spread from the front of the store and burned through the roof.
By sunrise, the fire was out, and the investigation began.
The Idaho State Fire Marshal is working with the Shelley-Firth Fire District and the Shelley Police Department, sifting through the charred remains of the furniture store to figure out how the fire started.
Investigators do not suspect any foul play, but they have not ruled out any specific causes.
The Young family never left the scene. Young said something remarkable happened.
"The community has been amazing," Young said. "Matthews Plumbing down here -- Broulim's brought us food. Yeah, we wouldn't be here if it weren't for the community or for the people."
OK Trailer, a business just blocks away which caught fire a year ago, donated a trailer to the Young family so that they could still work.
The Youngs have two other storefronts in Shelley where they plan to take the merchandise that was not lost in the fire.
Copyright 2013 NPG of Idaho. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.