Authorities say a Utah man who kept venomous snakes at his duplex without a permit might face misdemeanor charges.
Firefighters discovered 28 snakes at a Clearfield duplex Friday when they responded to a fire started by a kitchen range.
The snakes were found inside cages in a separate room. All survived and were removed as firefighters quickly put out the blaze.
Officials say the man took care of his snakes, but didn't have a permit for six venomous snakes — five rattlers and a gaboon viper.
Davis County Animal Control Director Clint Thacker says the man took his 22 other legal snakes for safekeeping to his father's house.
The poisonous snakes were confiscated by the Utah Division of Wildlife, where Capt. Tony Wood was deciding Monday what to do with them and whether to cite the owner.
North Davis Fire Chief Mark Becraft says fire and smoke damage left the duplex uninhabitable.