Red Cross helps Shelley fire victims

POSTED: 03:39 PM MDT Nov 02, 2012    UPDATED: 03:58 PM MDT Nov 02, 2012 
SHELLEY, Idaho -

Fire caused extensive damage to a home in the 1,000 block of 1400 North in Shelley on Thursday.

Shelley Fire Chief Mike Carter said the fire appeared to have started when a downstairs electrical outlet overheated and ignited a pile of newspapers.  He said the fire apparently smoldered for several hours before a family member came home from school and discovered it around 3:30 pm.

The American Red Cross of Greater Idaho responded Friday to help the family of two adults and four children. Caseworkers provided them with funds for food, clothing and seasonal coats, as well as four nights in a local hotel.