City admits mistake when building owner billed after fire
Earlier this week, the owner of a building in Jerome was sent a $96,000 bill by the city's fire department to cover costs of battling the blaze that destroyed the building.
On Thursday, city officials backed off, saying the invoice mailed to Sylvia Moore was sent by mistake.
In a press release, City Spokeswoman Zoe Monahan said the city would offer no other comment on the matter.
Moore is the owner of the apartment building destroyed in an April 30 fire ignited by a hot glue gun left on a plastic chair.
The bill sent by the city itemized costs of fighting the fire, including pay for firefighters and police and equipment. Moore said she was shocked to get the invoice and be penalized for a fire she didn't start.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.