Exploding rhubarb chutney destroys apartment

Fermenting chutney produced enough methane to lift the ceiling

POSTED: 08:45 AM MDT Jul 10, 2013    UPDATED: 08:46 AM MDT Jul 10, 2013 
Rhubarb jam, chutney, jelly

A jar of rhubarb chutney destroyed a British woman's apartment after exploding in her refrigerator.

Margaret Goodwin, 66, had received the chutney as a gift and put it in the refrigerator to enjoy later, the Irish Independent reported.

But five days later, as she was sleeping, the fermenting chutney gave off enough methane to cause an explosion that blew the door off the refrigerator, temporarily lifted the ceiling and left holes and cracks in her walls.

"If I had been standing in the way, it would probably have killed me," Goodwin said, according to The Telegraph.

She initially thought a gas line had exploded, but fire officials pointed to the chutney as the cause.

Turns out, methane gas can become very explosive when mixed with air. Other recipients of the culinary gift have been warned to get rid of it, according to The Sun.