Idaho Falls

Squirrel causes fire and power outage in Idaho Falls

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI/KIDK) - The Idaho Falls Fire Department reports a squirrel caused a short in the power system which dropped a melted wire to the ground and then ignited the dry grass at the 1900 block of John Adams Parkway in Idaho Falls around 2:00 p.m. Tuesday.

Upon investigation, firefighters responded to a report of smoke and flames in the backyard of a residential property and found a small grass fire near a canal bank that extended to three sections of a vinyl fencing.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly and prevent further damage to surrounding structures.

Idaho Falls Power also responded to the fire, as it was reportedly due to an issue with a power pole, and officials report 29 people were without power.  

IFP said crews are working to restore power as quickly as possible.

The approximate cost of the damage to the fencing is $700-800. 


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories

Top Stories