About six kids in eastern Idaho have contracted swimmer's itch. A parent said they got it after swimming at Robert's Gravel Pond.
Swimmer's itch is caused by an allergic reaction to microscopic parasites. The Eastern Idaho Public Health District said the parasites are found mostly in shallow water, and they are carried by waterfowl and snails. Most cases do not require medical attention, and some people never see symptoms.
"The only thing you can is buy some over-the-counter lotions, maybe buy some Epsom salts to soak in the bathtub and relieve some itching. If the itching gets too bad you might want to get a prescription strength lotion from your health care provider," said epidemiologist Ken Anderson.
The health district said if you're swimming outdoors, shower immediately and dry off with a towel as soon as you get out of the water.