ONEIDA COUNTY, Idaho - Firefighters contained five fires in the Malad area Tuesday night.
A thunderstorm moving through Oneida County around 3 p.m. Tuesday caused the Eastern Idaho Interagency Dispatch Center to get reports of smoke from five different places.
Here is the status of each of the fires:
- Monson Fire: 25 to 30 acres, nine miles northwest of Malad, contained Tuesday night.
- Morgan Jones Canyon Fire: Nearly 1 acre, 12 miles northwest of Holbrook, contained and controlled Tuesday night.
- Lime Kiln Fire: 1 acre, six miles northwest of Malad, contained and controlled Tuesday night.
- Wood Canyon Fire: 3 to 5 acres, six miles northeast of Holbrook, contained Tuesday night, expected to be controlled Wednesday morning.
- Elkhorn Fire: 1.7 acres, 10 miles northeast of Holbrook, contained Tuesday night.
Still burning in the area is the State Fire, which is burning on the Idaho/Utah border. The nearly 30,000-acre fire was 90 percent contained as of Tuesday, the most recent update available.