KIFI Top Story

Mother pushes for bounce house regulations

Parents of Girl Injured in Bounce House Speak Out

POCATELLO, Idaho - Five-year old Catherine Josephine Cue is lucky to have sustained only minor scrapes after she fell eight feet from a bounce house that took to the air on the Fourth of July.

C.J's mother Linda said the family had only been at the campgrounds to celebrate the holiday when winds started to pick up and the bounce house flew about 200 yards before her daughter fell to the ground.

"All I could think was, 'oh, crap,' and I just started running," Cue said. "My friend was with me and she said she couldn't even keep up with me because I was running so fast and the next thing I know, my husband was running past me."

Linda said all she could think about was getting to her daughter on time, but her husband got there just as C.J. hit the ground.

"He was holding her and people kept asking me what I would have done once I got there. They said it was pointless for me to run to her like that, but I'm a mom and my adrenaline was going and all I could think about was, 'I have to get to her, I have to get to her,'" she recalled.

The incident report even shows that the pink, princess, castle-shaped bounce house that took off, flew over another bounce house completely.

It had two other kids inside who were not injured.

C.J. was taken to the Portneuf Medical Center where she was treated for her minor injuries and released later that day.

"It could have been so much worse, and I'm so thankful it wasn't," Cue said.

Right now Cue is trying to find a way to start a petition to enforce regulations on bounce houses so this does not happen to anyone else.

"I'm going to make this my new mission. Something wasn't done properly as far as I'm concerned and that could have ended in a bad result," Cue said. 

She said she still isn't sure if the bounce house was tethered to the ground or not.

The Cue family isn't the only family that has dealt with this sort of issue. This comes after a series of bounce houses across the country have taken flight when strong winds approach.

The winds were said to have briefly reached up to 50 miles per hour that evening at the fairgrounds.

The owners of the Pocatello-based bounce house company said they just filed an incident report with the insurance company and cannot speak with the media at this point, but they have spoken with Cue.

Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen said, although no criminal activity was found to have taken place related to the incident, he plans on meeting with the county commissioners in the near future to discuss tighter regulations with bounce houses so this incident does not repeat.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories

Top Stories