IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI/KIDK) - Some customers of Idaho Falls Power are again receiving scam phone calls from persons seeking to collect utility payments.
Idaho Falls Power advises the utility does not demand utility payments over the phone and that all billing is handled by the City Utilities Office. That office does not accept payments over the phone either.
IFP spokesperson Joelyn Hansen offered the following tips to anyone who gets one of the phone calls:
- If the caller is demanding immediate payment or for you to buy a prepaid credit card to make a payment, it's a scam.
- If the caller says payment must be taken over the phone, it's a scam.
- If the caller cannot offer payment options, it's a scam.
- If you are unsure about whether you owe money to the City of Idaho Falls for utilities, hang up and call the utilities office at (208) 612-8280 or (208) 612-8144 to verify.
- Be cautious about providing any personal or financial information over the phone if you have not solicited the phone call.