IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - Medicine bottles and little kids can be a dangerous combination.
One local woman found out the hard way that those special caps on pill containers may be child resistant, but they are not child-proof, and she wants to warn others about the danger.
Erika Wohlschlegel loves her little 20 month old child, Dani, and tries to do all she can to keep her safe. But she recently had an experience with Dani that shook her up.
"It was the most horrible experience of my life," stated Wohlschlegel.
Wohlschlegel had left a bottle of pills on her nightstand, thinking the special cap would keep the medicine safe from Dani.
"You have to push down and twist at the same time,” Wohlschlegel explained while twisting the bottle.
Too hard for a little toddler to open right? Wrong!
The young mother explained that after waking up, her toddler had taken her child proof medication, popped the top off, and had the medication in her hand. Wohlschlegel hadn’t thought Dani had ingested any of the medication after seeing her mouth empty, but close to a half an hour later, Dani started acting strange, leading the frantic parent to call 9-1-1.
Dani was irritable; she couldn't stand and couldn't stay awake. At the hospital, she was treated with fluids to flush the medication from the bottle out of her system.
"I never in my wildest dreams thought she could get it open," she continued.
Now Wohlschlegel has a special lockbox for medications, to prevent accidents like this one from occurring again.
"I feel like if this story can help one person lock up their medication, then it's worth sharing. I know that people will judge me and think I'm a bad mom, or whatever, but if someone will realize they have to lock up their pills, it's worth it,” concluded Wohlschlegel.